Pages

Sunday 30 January 2011

"I'm 65 and I'm Tired" By Uncle Roy

I'm 65. Two weeks after graduating from university in 1966, with no gap year, I started my first job and have worked ever since. I enjoy work and make a fair living. I didn't inherit my job or my income. I intend to work as long as I am able.

I'm tired but not tired of work.

I'm tired of being told that I should share my earnings and savings with people who don't work.

I'm tired of being told the government will confiscate the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people and projects with which I have no sympathy, and, given the option, which I would not support.

I'm tired of all religions where fundamentalists justify bestiality, rape, murder, revenge because they believe they are showing loyalty to some historical fiction. I am aware of the immensely sophisticated marketing techniques employed by companies in this much-favoured sector. However, every day I read of madmen in the name of religion killing their sisters, wives and daughters for their family honour; of nutters in the name of religion rioting over the slightest offence; of murderers in the name of religion eliminating those they regard as non-believers; of arsonist criminals burning schools for girls; of followers of some super-criminal stoning teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of genital mutilation and other atrocities because they feel they are told to do so by a holy book.

I'm tired
of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which if I choose to debate, I am accused of cynicism.

I'm tired of being told that drug addicts are suffering from a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. I did not stuff the white powder up their noses while they tried to fight me off.

I'm tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of all parties talking about innocent, stupid or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught.

I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor. The victim and martyr industry is protected by an institutional resistance to honest analysis, for the fear of being accused of racism, ageism, sexism, and an ever growing list of --isms.

I'm really tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination or big-whatever for their problems.


Yes, I'm very tired.

But I'm not unhappy to be 65. I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. Perhaps I'm just sorry my grandchildren may never know the world I knew.

--

No comments: